Washington Watch: Legislative Update
For the Week of 7 May 2018
I. Legislative News and Activity
II. This Week in Congress
III. Update on Top Legislative Priorities
IV. Support the National FOP PAC
V. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
I. LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND ACTIVITY
Senior Advisor to the National President Jim Pasco:
- Met with Phillip E. Keith, newly appointed Director of the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS), regarding his vision for COPS Office moving forward;
- Spoke with Steven H. Cook, Associate Deputy Attorney General, regarding legislation that affects the U.S. Department of Justice and the National Peace Officers’ Memorial Service;
- Spoke with various White House staff regarding the National Peace Officers’ Memorial Service.
Legislative Liaison Michael Martin and Senior Legislative Liaison Tim Richardson:
- Met with staff in the office of Senator Michael S. Lee (R-UT) and Senator Benjamin E. Sasse (R-NE) to discuss legislation to make it a Federal offense to target law enforcement officers;
- Met with other law enforcement stakeholders to discuss Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) reform.
Senior Legislative Liaison Richardson and Legislative Liaison Scott Marks:
- Met with staff in the office of Senator Orrin G. Hatch (R-UT) to talk about S. 2715, the “Criminal Organizations’ Narcotics, Finances, Resources, Operations, and Networks Targeting (CONFRONT) Act”;
- Met with staff in the office of Representative Theodore P. Budd (R-NC) to discuss pending corporate transparency legislation;
- Met with staff in the office of Representative Dennis A. Ross (R-FL) to discuss pending corporate transparency legislation.
Legislative Liaison Martin represented the FOP at an opioid roundtable that was hosted by the National Sheriffs’ Association. Jefferson B. Sessions III, Attorney General of the United States, gave remarks at the event as well as Kirstjen M. Nielson, Secretary of Homeland Security and Kellyanne E. Conway, Counselor to the President of the United States.
II. THIS WEEK IN CONGRESSCongress was in recess this week.
III. UPDATE ON TOP LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIESFor the complete list of cosponsors for all of our top legislative priorities, or to find out if your Representative and Senators are cosponsors of specific bills, check out https://www.congress.gov/
A. Support H.R. 1205/S. 915, the “Social Security Fairness Act”We have 180 cosponsors on H.R. 1205.We have 23 cosponsors on S. 915.
B. Support the H.R. 964/S. 424, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Equity Act”We have 38 cosponsors on H.R. 964.We have 6 cosponsors on S. 424.
C. Support H.R. 4846, the “Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act”We have 38 cosponsors on H.R. 4846.
IV. Support the National FOP PACIt is crucial to our political agenda we keep our PAC competitive with other organizations.If you want more information on the PAC or want to sign up for a $5.00 monthly recurring contribution, please email or call (202)547-8189.
Latest posts by John Blackmon (see all)
- FOP Meeting Tonight - October 8, 2018
- Washington Watch: Legislative Update - October 6, 2018
- Funeral Arrangements for Sergeant Terrence Carraway - October 5, 2018