Washington Watch: Legislative Update
For the Week of 23 July 2018
I. Legislative News and Activity
II. This Week in Congress
III. Update on Top Legislative Priorities
IV. Support the National FOP PAC
V. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
I. LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND ACTIVITYExecutive Director Jim Pasco:
- Spoke with Steven H. Cook, Associate Deputy Attorney General, regarding U.S Department of Justice correctional issues;
- Met with R. Alexander Acosta, Secretary of U.S. Department of Labor, regarding the FOP union issues and re-entry job programs;
- Met with Jared C. Kushner, Senior Advisor to the President, regarding H.R. 5682/S. 2795, the “FIRST STEP Act”;
- Met with Zach D. Fuentes, Deputy Chief of Staff, regarding FOP communication with the White House and other key departments.
Senior Legislative Liaison Tim Richardson and Legislative Liaison Michael Martin:
- Met with Representative David P. Joyce (R-OH) to discuss marijuana policy;
- Met with staff in the offices of Senators Gerald W. Moran (R-KS) and Ronald H. Johnson (R-WI) to discuss H.R. 613/S. 1084, the “Lieutenant Osvaldo Albarati Correctional Officer Self-Protection Act.”
Legislative Liaison Martin represented the FOP at the CARA (Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act) working group.
Senior Legislative Liaison Richardson and Legislative Liaison Scott Marks spoke with staff in the office Senator Marco A. Rubio (R-FL) regarding a strategy moving forward on S. 1717, the “Corporate Transparency Act.”
II. THIS WEEK IN CONGRESSAction in the HouseThe House considered and passed H.R. 2345, the “National Suicide Hotline Improvement Act” on a 379-1 vote. This bill goes to the Senate next for further consideration.
Action in the SenateThe Senate considered and passed S. Amndt 3553 to S. Amndt 3399 to H.R. 6147, which makes an amount of money available for the Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence in the Department of the Treasury to investigate the illicit trade of synthetic opioids originating from the People’s Republic of China on a 99-0 vote. A motion to formally end debate (cloture) was filed late this week which means next week, either a motion to instruct conferees or a final vote to send it back to the House of Representatives will occur.
III. UPDATE ON TOP LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIESFor the complete list of cosponsors for all of our top legislative priorities, or to find out if your Representative and Senators are cosponsors of specific bills, check out https://www.congress.gov/
A. Support H.R. 1205/S. 915, the “Social Security Fairness Act”One additional lawmaker has co-sponsored H.R. 1205, bringing the total to 186.We have 25 co-sponsors on S. 915.B. Support the H.R. 964/S. 424, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Equity Act”Four additional lawmakers have co-sponsored H.R. 964 bringing the total to 46. We have 6 co-sponsors on S. 424.
C. Support H.R. 4846/ S. 2845, the “Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act”One additional lawmaker has co-sponsored H.R. 4846, bringing our total to 52.We have 5 co-sponsors on S. 2845.
IV. Support the National FOP PACIt is crucial to our political agenda we keep our PAC competitive with other organizations.If you want more information on the PAC or want to sign up for a $5.00 monthly recurring contribution, please email email@example.com or call (202)547-8189.