Washington Watch: Legislative Update
For the Week of 4 March 2019
I. Legislative News and Activity
II. This Week in Congress
III. Update on Top Legislative Priorities
IV. Support the National FOP PAC
V. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND ACTIVITY
Executive Director Jim Pasco:
- had a lengthy conversation with Jared C. Kushner, Senior Advisor to the President, on a range of FOP issues, both legislative and political;
- spoke with Steven H. Cook, Associate Deputy Attorney General, regarding the mistreatment of Jason Van Dyke, who is currently in Federal custody, and what appears to be a refusal to allow him to see authorized visitors;
- had an extensive conversation with Nicholas C. Geale, Chief of Staff to the U.S. Secretary of Labor, regarding ongoing discussions about LM-2 issues and an overview of Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) regulations on overtime eligibility.
Senior Legislative Liaison Tim Richardson:
- met with the senior majority staff with The House Committee on The Judiciary to discuss the FOP’s priorities and agenda for the 116th Congress;
- participated in a briefing for Congressional staff entitled “Overview of Key Justice Grant Programs.”
Senior Legislative Liaison Richardson and Legislative Liaison Mark McDonald met with law enforcement stakeholder groups to discuss areas of mutual cooperation in the 116th Congress.
Legislative Liaison Marks:
- met with staff in the Offices of Representative Scott R. Tipton (R-CO), Frank D. Lucas (R-OK) and David F. Kustoff (R-TN) regarding potential beneficial ownership / anti- money laundering legislation;
- met with staff in the Office of Representative William J. Pascrell, Jr. (D-NJ) regarding potential legislation that would make Medicare eligible for public safety officers at the of age 55.
THIS WEEK IN CONGRESS
Action in House Committees
The Committee on the Judiciary held a hearing entitled: “Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act.”
The Committee on Homeland Security held a hearing entitled: “The Way Forward on Border Security.”
The Committee on Foreign Affairs held a markup for H.R. 295, the “End Banking Human Traffickers Act.” The FOP supports this legislation, see our letter of support here. The legislation was amended and passed by voice vote.
UPDATE ON TOP LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
Support H.R. 141/S. 521, the “Social Security Fairness Act”
13 additional lawmakers have co-sponsored H.R. 141 bringing our total to 123.
3 additional lawmaker has co-sponsored S. 521 bringing our total to 7.
Support H.R. 1195/S. 473, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Equity Act”
We have 23 cosponsors on H.R. 1195.
We have 1 cosponsor on S. 473.
Support H.R. 1154, the “Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act”
2 additional lawmakers have co-sponsored H.R. 1154 bringing our total to 4.
Support the National FOP PAC
It is crucial to our political agenda that we keep our PAC competitive with other organizations.
Follow the FOP on Twitter!
Sign up today for the latest news from Capitol Hill: https://twitter.com/GLFOP