Washington Watch: Legislative Update
For the Week of 3 July 2017
I. Legislative News and Activity
II. This Week in Congress
III. Update on Top Legislative Priorities
IV. Social Media
I. LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND ACTIVITY
Senior Advisor Pasco:
- Spoke with leadership within the U.S. Department of Justice about nominees for Federal law enforcement within the Department. Apart from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, no other nominations have been made. Pending civil rights issues were also discussed.
- Spoke with liaison personnel within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to discuss improving communication and coordination between the FOP and the Department.
- Met with representatives from the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) and AT&T to discuss ongoing issues with the construction of a national public safety broadband network.
II. THIS WEEK IN CONGRESS
The House and Senate were in recess this week in observance of the Independence Day holiday.
III. UPDATE ON TOP LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
For the complete list of cosponsors for all of our top legislative priorities, or to find out if your Representative and Senators are cosponsors of specific bills, check out https://www.congress.gov/
A. Support H.R. 1205/S. 915, the “Social Security Fairness Act”
We have 142 cosponsors on H.R. 1205.
We have 8 cosponsors on S. 915.
B. Support the H.R. 964/S. 424, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Equity Act”
We have 17 cosponsors on H.R. 964.
We have 3 cosponsors on S. 424.
IV. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
Sign up today for the latest news from Capitol Hill: https://twitter.com/GLFOP
Latest posts by John Blackmon (see all)
- Police Personnel Reporter – November 2017 - November 22, 2017
- Law Enforcement Liability Reporter – November 2017 - November 16, 2017
- FOP Urges Lawmakers to Preserve the SALT Deduction - November 15, 2017