Washington Watch: Legislative Update
For the Week of 18 September 2017
I. Legislative News and Activity
II. This Week in Congress
III. Update on Top Legislative Priorities
V. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
I. LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND ACTIVITY
Jim Pasco, Senior Advisor to the National President, spoke with:
- John Barsa, Acting Assistant Secretary for the Office of Partnership and Engagement at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, regarding the response to Hurricane Irma.
- Steven H. Cook, Associate Deputy Attorney General, regarding the recent announced changes to the Collaboration Reform Initiative administered by the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) at the U.S. Department of Justice.
Senior Legislative Liaison Tim Richardson and Legislative Liaison Scott Marks represented the FOP on a conference call of public safety stakeholder groups and staff in the office of Representative Raul Ruiz(D-CA).
Legislative Liaison Mike Martin:
- Met with staff in the offices of Rep. Scott E. DesJarlais (R-TN) and Rep. Peter F. Welch (D-VT) to discuss H.R. 1057, the “STOP Act.”
- Met with staff in the office of Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) to discuss S. 1742, the “Medicare at 55 Act.”
II. THIS WEEK IN CONGRESS
The House was in recess this week and the Senate recessed on Tuesday. Both chambers will return to work next week.
Action in the Senate
The Senate continued its considered and passed of H.R. 2810, the “National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018,” on an 89-8 vote. The bill now goes to the President for his signature.
III. UPDATE ON TOP LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
For the complete list of cosponsors for all of our top legislative priorities, or to find out if your Representative and Senators are cosponsors of specific bills, check out https://www.congress.gov/
A. Support H.R. 1205/S. 915, the “Social Security Fairness Act”
We have 148 cosponsors on H.R 1205.
We added one cosponsor to S. 915, bringing our current total to 9.
B. Support the H.R. 964/S. 424, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Equity Act”
We have 26 cosponsors on H.R. 964.
We have 3 cosponsors on S. 424.
IV. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
Sign up today for the latest news from Capitol Hill: https://twitter.com/GLFOP
Latest posts by John Blackmon (see all)
- Congratulations to SCCJA Class 674 - December 15, 2017
- Washington Watch End of the Year Legislative Round Up - December 14, 2017
- She Had FOP Legal Defense.Do you? - December 13, 2017