Washington Watch: Legislative Update
For the Week of 23 October 2017
I. Legislative News and Activity
II. This Week in Congress
III. Update on Top Legislative Priorities
IV. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
- LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND ACTIVITY
National President Chuck Canterbury and Jim Pasco, Senior Advisor to the National President, attended a White House event to witness President Trump declare the heroin/opioid epidemic a “Public Health Emergency.” The following FOP members were also at the event:
- Willian R. Milan, President, Lodge #112, Prince George’s County, MD
- Shawn S. Richards, First Vice President, Lodge #112, Prince George’s County, MD
- Brandon Holland, President, Lodge #20 in Carroll County , MD
- Mark Debord, Lodge #20 in Carroll County , MD
- Quiana Keeve, Lodge #89 in Prince George’s County
- Rosa Guixens, Lodge #89 in Prince George’s County
Senior Advisor Pasco:
- Spoke with U.S. Attorney General Jefferson B. Session III regarding law enforcement’s role in combating the heroin/opioid epidemic;
- Spoke with U.S. Secretary of Labor R. Alexander Acosta, regarding incentives to recruit new law enforcement officers;
- Spoke with Mercedes Schlapp, Director of Strategic Communications at the White House, on pending appointments within the Administration, communications with the FOP and on the heroin/opioid epidemic;
- Spoke with Thomas E. Brandon, Acting Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, regarding the issue of bump stocks; and
- Served on the Critical Issues panel at the national conference of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
Senior Legislative Liaison Tim Richardson met with the new legislative director for Representative Erik P. Paulsen (R-MN) to discuss the FOP’s priorities and other pending issues.
Senior Legislative Liaison Richardson and Legislative Liaison Scott Marks met with staff in the office of Representative Stevan E. Pearce (R-NM) to discuss the upcoming hearing on H.R. 3089, the “Corporation Transparency Act.”
Legislative Liaison Martin Represented the FOP at the first-ever law-enforcement only Honor Flight that the FOP helped host at the National Law Enforcement Memorial in Washington, D.C.
- THIS WEEK IN CONGRESS
Both chambers were in recess this week.
Action in the House
The House considered and passed H. Con. Res. 71, the budget resolution, on 216-212 vote.
Action in the Senate
The Senate considered, amended and passed H.R. 2266, the “Additional Supplemental Appropriations for Disaster Relief Requirements Act,” on a 80-19 vote. The bill returns to the House for further action.
III. UPDATE ON TOP LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
For the complete list of cosponsors for all of our top legislative priorities, or to find out if your Representative and Senators are cosponsors of specific bills, check out https://www.congress.gov/
A. Support H.R. 1205/S. 915, the “Social Security Fairness Act”
We added 10 cosponsors to H.R. 1205, bringing our current total to 158.
We have 9 cosponsors on S. 915.
- Support the H.R. 964/S. 424, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Equity Act”
We have 30 cosponsors on H.R. 964.We added one cosponsor to S. 424, bringing our current total to 4.
IV. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
Sign up today for the latest news from Capitol Hill: https://twitter.com/GLFOP
Latest posts by John Blackmon (see all)
- Congratulations to SCCJA Class 674 - December 15, 2017
- Washington Watch End of the Year Legislative Round Up - December 14, 2017
- She Had FOP Legal Defense.Do you? - December 13, 2017