Washington Watch: Legislative Update
For the Week of 30 October 2017
I. Legislative News and Activity
II. This Week in Congress
III. Update on Top Legislative Priorities
IV. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
I. LEGISLATIVE NEWS AND ACTIVITY
Senior Advisor to the National President, Jim Pasco:
- Spoke with Steve Cook, Associate Deputy Attorney General, regarding sentencing reform, pattern and practice investigating, and immigration issues.
- Met with Danielle Cutrona, Counsel to the Attorney General, regarding pending Department of Justice vacancies and sentencing reform.
- Attended White House meetings on criminal justice priorities.
- Continued conversations with executives at Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives regarding the bump stock issue and interstate cigarette smuggling.
Legislative Liaison Michael Martin and Legislative Liaison Scott Marks attended a congressional staff briefing on the SAFE Justice Act.
Senior Legislative Liaison Tim Richardson and Legislative Liaison Marks participated in a conference call with staff of Senator Charles E. Grassley (R-IA) to discuss anti-money laundering legislation.
Senior Legislative Liaison Richardson represented the FOP at a meeting with the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE) and the Congressional Black Caucus.
Legislative Liaison Martin attended the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA) working group to discuss next steps in the fight against heroin/opioids.
II. THIS WEEK IN CONGRESS
Both chambers were in session.
Action in the House
The House took up and passed H.R. 2936, the “Resilient Federal Forest Act” on a 232-188 vote.
The House took up and passed H.R. 849, the “Protecting Seniors Access to Medicare Act” on a 307-111 vote.
Action in House Committees
The Committee on the Judiciary held a markup on H.R. 3249, the “Project Safe Neighborhoods Grant Program Authorization Act.” The bill which the FOP supports was considered favorably by a voice vote.
The Committee on the Judiciary considered H.R. 4203, the “Combat Online Predators Act” and was reported favorably by a voice vote.
Lastly, the Committee on the Judiciary marked up H.R. 3317, the “Stopping Abusive Female Exploitation Act.” H.R. 3317 was reported favorably by voice vote.
Action in the Senate committee
The Committee on the Judiciary considered and passed by voice vote S. 807, “the Criminal Antitrust-Retaliation Act.”
III. UPDATE ON TOP LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
For the complete list of cosponsors for all of our top legislative priorities, or to find out if your Representative and Senators are cosponsors of specific bills, check out https://www.congress.gov/
A. Support H.R. 1205/S. 915, the “Social Security Fairness Act”
We have 158 cosponsors on H.R 1205.
We have 9 cosponsors on S. 915.
B. Support the H.R. 964/S. 424, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Equity Act”
We have 30 cosponsors on H.R. 964
We have 4 cosponsors on S. 424.
IV. Follow the FOP on Twitter!
Sign up today for the latest news from Capitol Hill: https://twitter.com/GLFOP
Latest posts by John Blackmon (see all)
- Congratulations to SCCJA Class 674 - December 15, 2017
- Washington Watch End of the Year Legislative Round Up - December 14, 2017
- She Had FOP Legal Defense.Do you? - December 13, 2017